For all pet owners who enjoy taking their dogs by the water, be aware!
Toronto Public Health has issued a warning regarding the waters of Humber Bay East. An article posted last Friday from BlogTO states that, “a potentially toxic type of blue-green algae has been detected in Humber Bay and around Mimico creek.”
It was also stated that some species of this plant-like substance (called cyanobacteria) may produce toxins in the water that could be dangerous to humans and animals! As they decompose, they can produce a foul-smelling odour comparable to the smell of garbage. The City of Toronto warns that exposure to this substance can cause headaches, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, skin rashes and mucous membrane irritation in humans.
It is advised to stay away from the water to avoid contact and ingestion.
So, if you are looking for a place to take your pooch this summer, it may be wise to look elsewhere!
The article can be read here: https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/07/toronto-about-smell-rotting-garbage/